Sunday, July 22, 2007

I have become a real pain in the ass since having a kid

I haven't been blogging much lately becuase my daugther has been very sick, so sick in fact she was briefly hospitalized. Much to my relief, she is recovered now. She got a stomach bug which snowballed becuase she refused to eat or drink thus becoming very dehydrated. It was traumatic for everyone to say the least. And perhaps some of the most traumatized people involved in this whole ordeal are the staff at Children's Hospital. You see, since having my daughter I no longer worry about stepping on other people's toes. In the past, I have always considered myself extremely easygoing, carefree, and very likable. I used to the be the type of person who made friends everywhere I went. A lot has changed since I became a mom. I'm starting to be realize that I have become a total pain in the ass. It's amazing how I've always been shy to speak up for myself, but speaking up for my daughter has felt as natural as breathing.
I have seen too many gnarly Datelines about medical disasters to turn the other cheek when it comes to my child. After I made the nurse switch IV tubing because the first one touched the floor, then demanded that anyone with hospital ID wear gloves when entering the room I think the medical staff was afraid of me. Frankly I don't care if the two resident pediatricians I pounded with questions about germs for a solid hour hate me. It's too bad if the nurse was annoyed that I made her call maintenance twice to disinfect areas of the room where strange people had been. I could care less if anyone was offended when I shamelessly confirmed that my daughter's roommate didn't have anything contagious. I think my husband was just happy that he didn't have to be the annoying one of the couple.

No comments: